Why do dentures become loose?
- Our jawbone has a job of holding teeth in place. When we remove teeth, we eliminate that responsibility and the bone together with gums begin changing shape. When this happens, the dentures that once fit so well are now loose.
- Excessively worn dentures can become loose in time. This is why, as Toronto denturists, we always recommend adequate maintenance and upkeep. This includes brushing your dentures, using denture creams instead of toothpaste, keeping dentures out of hot water where there’s a risk of warping, and ensuring you’re following through on regular examinations and re-calls.
- If you’ve accidentally dropped your dentures and they cracked or broke easily, this is evidently another cause of very old and ill-fitting dentures. Normally dentures need to be replaced every 6-8 years.
Gums changing are an inevitability that we should expect as patients and denturists. A number of factors influence the health of our gums and how quickly they change shape including nutrition, diabetes, weight loss, and medications.
Can I tighten loose dentures?
When thinking about what can be done about loose dentures, you may be thinking all they need is a tightening. In some cases, that may be true but an appointment with a denturist is needed to determine that.
Most wearers of Standard dentures require an adjustment or tightening, also referred to as a relining, every two years. Relining of loose dentures starts with taking an impression of your gums and then using it to replace the pink denture base according to fit.
How do I fix loose dentures in an emergency?
Loose dentures adhesive is the most commonly recommended solution for how to fix loose dentures quickly in an emergency. If it’s an urgent need, there are creams, powders, and adhesive strips available to secure your dentures in place. For loose partial dentures, this strategy works quite well. It’s an excellent way to give you a bridge between now and your next denturist appointment.
This aside, loose denture adhesives are only a temporary answer to the question of how to fix loose dentures. You will still need to schedule time with a denturist. For a business presentation, social occasion, or a situation where you need to eat, speak, or exist without worrying about your dentures falling out, try a recommended adhesive.
How common are loose dentures?
Loose dentures are very common. Although there are denture types that don’t loosen, like implant supported dentures and Precision dentures, most will. Loose dentures in the elderly are particularly common. Seniors frequently come to us complaining that there’s discomfort on their gums or that they have difficulty speaking or eating. These are signs and symptoms of loose dentures.
What dentures can I get that won’t loosen?
Implant supported dentures are the ultimate answer in how to fix loose dentures. Implant dentures don’t sit directly on the gums. Instead, they use the jaw bone. By using the dental implants embedded in the jaw bone, dentures are stable and snapped into position. Implant supported dentures don’t move and
couldn’t even if they wanted to.
Precision dentures are also an excellent loose denture replacement option. Precision dentures are the most personalized denture you can get. Precision dentures are created from a design focused on tooth selection, facial support, and the appearance. When you wear Precision dentures, they are fitted to achieve maximum aesthetic, comfort, and function, and are so detailed in their fit they shouldn’t move.
Are Implant dentures or Precision dentures better?
Both Implant dentures and Precision dentures will fix loose dentures. The same struggle you experience with conventional dentures is nothing like either of these denture types. They fit so comfortably but there are differences between implant supported dentures and Precision dentures.
- Precision dentures are designed to move with your jaw, the measurements taken to create them are precise, and they are made to flatter your smile in a way no other denture can. A Toronto denturist ensures your Precision dentures compliment everything from your face to your eye color, hair color, and skin tone. Needless to say, a lot of work goes into Precision dentures. As they are so precise in their design, they look even more like natural teeth. Another benefit of these measurements are that you won’t require as much adjustments, fixes, and relines. They’re highly durable and stain resistant.
- Implant dentures are affixed into place and as long as the initial fit is right, you won’t have to adjust them. The implant is fused to the jawbone. Your dentures will never slip, click, or fall out. You can eat all the foods you want and they will not move. Just like Precision dentures, Implant dentures look and act like natural teeth. If you’re prone to sore spots in your oral cavity from dentures, you won’t have these with Implant dentures. They don’t fully rest on the gums. Once you lose a tooth, the bone around it recedes. The titanium used in the dental implants in Implant dentures protects and encourages bone growth which can help retain the natural look, function, and structure of your mouth.
Are you looking to fix loose dentures in Toronto? Visit Apple Denture & Implant Solutions clinic today for more information on what options may be available to you.